Maida -1/2 cup
All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Baking soda -1/2 tsp
butter -melted 2 tablespoons
Whole milk just enough to make the dough
Sugar -2 cups
water - 1 cup
Oil for frying
Preparation method :
Sugar syrup : Mix 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water. Add 4-5 cardamom pods, slightly crushed and a few strands of "Kesar". Mix with a spoon and then heat at medium heat for 5-10 minutes until sugar is all dissolved in water. Do not overheat, that will caramelize the sugar. Keep warm on stove.
- Make the dough by combining the milk maida and butter.
- Add just enough whole milk to make a medium-hard dough.
- Divide the dough into 18-20 portions.
- Make balls by gently rolling each portion between your palms into a smooth ball. Place the balls on a plate. Cover with a damp yet dry kitchen towel.
- Heat the oil on high and then lower the heat to medium. Slip in the balls into the hot oil from the side of the pan, one by one. They will sink to the bottom of the pan, but do not try to move them. Instead, gently shake the pan to keep the balls from browning on just one side. After about 5 mins, the balls will rise to the surface. The Gulab Jamuns should rise slowly to the top if the temperature is just right.
(If the temperature of the oil is too high then the gulab jamuns will tend to break. So adjust the temperature to ensure that the gulab jamuns do not break or cook too quickly.)
- Add the fried gulab jamuns directly into the warm syrup. Leave gulab jamuns in syrup overnight for best results. They can be served warm or at room temperature.