For filling :
Rava or cream of wheat- 1 cup.
Shredded coconut - ½ cup.
Cashews - a handful, broken
Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon.
Unsalted butter -1 tablespoon.
Fried chana dal - 1 cup
For the somas :
All purpose flour/maida - 2cup.
Water - ½ cup.
Oil for frying
Salt -1 pinch
Melted butter - 2 tablespoons.
Preparation Method :
- Mix the all purpose flour with a pinch of salt and using the water knead it into a soft dough just like the ones made for puris.
- Cover the dough with melted butter and leave it aside for an hour.
- Fry the rava in ghee till a nice aroma is felt and transfer into a plate.
- Fry the coconut powder in the same pan till it turns light brown.
- Now add the coconut powder, rava and fried chana dal in a mixer and blend them till the fried chana dal breaks into halves.
- Now add the cashew pieces to it along with the powdered sugar. Mix well , filling is ready
- Take a small ball of the dough and knead it into the size of a puri.
- Place a spoon full of the filling in the middle and fold it into a desired shape (fold tight so it doesnt open when fried)
- Deep fry in oil till it turns golden brown .
- Somas is ready and this could be preserved in a air tight container/ziploc for 1-2 months!